Whether the leak is small or large, a leaking roof is no laughing matter. Leaks cause significant damage to homes across the country every year and can cost thousands of dollars to repair. For those reasons, it’s crucial that you know how to spot a roof leak! This post from your local roof repair specialists in Salt Lake City, UT will teach you how:
- Head up to the attic: The first place you’ll notice a leak is up in the attic on the underside of the roof. Be sure to bring a flashlight up there with you, as finding a leak in the dark is nearly impossible.
- Look for dark spots: During this inspection, you’re looking for any dark spots on the underside of the roof or walls. These dark spots are caused by moisture from a leak and are a surefire sign that there’s a hole in your roof.
- Check for mold growth: If it’s been a while since it’s rained, you probably won’t see any dark spots. You might see mold, though, as it thrives in damp areas and has a tendency to linger. You’ll need to act quickly if that’s the case—mold is harmful even in small amounts.
- Inspect the insulation: If your attic is thoroughly insulated, the leak may be hidden behind the insulation. That’s actually a good thing, as insulation deteriorates quickly when it gets wet, and this can help you to more accurately pinpoint the site of the leak. Keep in mind that the damage might not just be where the insulation has deteriorated, as the water will flow downward due to the slope of the roof. Remove all of the insulation to pinpoint the source of the leak.
- Spray the roof: Dry summer weather makes it more challenging to find the source of a leak, so you might have to take matters into your own hands and recreate the leak yourself. Use your garden hose to spray your roof down, thus starting the dripping in the attic.
Make repairs right away!
Finding the source of the leak is only step one—you also need to call local roof repair specialists in Salt Lake City, UT. These are the reasons why fixing the problem as soon as possible is so vital:
- Avoid further damage: What starts out as a small leak won’t stay that way for long. Roof leaks will only get worse as time goes on, potentially causing structural damage due to rot. While making necessary repairs to your roof, your roofing contractor will double-check to guarantee there aren’t any other issues that need to be addressed.
- Prevent more mold growth: With more and more moisture coming in through the hole in your roof comes an increased chance of mold growth, as mentioned above. Fixing the leak now will help ensure you don’t have to call a team of mold removal specialists to handle the mold.
- Save money: The larger the hole or the more significant the mold growth, the more it’ll cost to get your home back to normal. By acting now, you can save a boatload of money on repairs and mold removal.
If you’ve noticed a leak or if it’s been a while since you’ve had an inspection, be sure to call the local roof repair specialists in Salt Lake City, UT at Stubbs Roofing, Inc. We’ll send someone out as soon as possible to find the exact source of the leak and fix it.
Categorised in: Leaking Roof
This post was written by Writer