A leaky roof can cause all sorts of interior water damage, but not everyone is aware of the seriousness of this type of problem. A roofing contractor in Salt Lake City, UT can tell you what repairs are needed, but you have to call for help first! Below are some of the dangers roof leaks can pose to you, your family and home:
- Ceiling and attic damage: The first victim of a leaky roof is most always your home’s attic, followed by damage to items and boxes you have stored up there. If the leak is huge or your house doesn’t have an attic, then you will see water damage to the interior ceiling. Water-damaged ceilings are often easy to spot, as the paint will darken and the plaster may bubble up and expand. You’ll see the same types of damage on the walls closest to the water-damaged ceiling, as well as damage on ceiling lights and fans.
- Structural damage: A leaky roof can lead to water-damaged rafters, ceiling joists, exterior trim and boards and wall framing. Not fixing a roof leak can lead to wood rot and weakening, and eventually the overall deterioration of your home’s structure. Rotten roof framing is cause for concern. To prevent serious problems and avoid expensive repairs, call on a professional roofing contractor in Salt Lake City, UT for assistance.
- Slip hazards: As you may have guessed, a leaking roof can cause puddles to form on the floor. If the leak is not big enough to be obvious, anyone in the house can slip and fall in undetected water puddles. Mop up the water, get a bucket under the drippy spot and call a roofing repair professional right away.
- Mold and mildew growth: Roof leaks that are not taken care of in a timely manner can cause a host of other issues. For instance, a long running leak can lead to interior mold and mildew growth. Mold and mildew can spread throughout your home’s structure and get into the HVAC system and ductwork, which can send mold spores airborne from vents. Once airborne, mold can spread to furniture, carpets, clothing, food and people.
- Serious health issues from mold: Breathing in and living with mold can lead to serious health issues. Mold and mildew is an even greater threat to people with sensitive systems or existing respiratory issues, including asthma, rhinitis and severe seasonal allergies. But it’s important to note that mold spores can cause allergic reactions, asthmatic symptoms and heightened respiratory issues in anyone.
- Higher energy bills: If water leaks in through your roof, it’s likely to make contact with attic insulation. Saturated fiberglass and cellulose insulation will take a long time to dry out, in which case your home won’t be as well insulated as it should be. Your home will lose hot or cool air, and the result is that you’ll have to use the HVAC more and will start seeing higher utility bills.
Do you have a leaky roof and need to hire a roofing contractor in Salt Lake City, UT? Call the team at Stubbs Roofing, Inc. as soon as possible!
Categorised in: Roofing Contractors
This post was written by Writer